Tuesday, September 14, 2010

DAY 12! More therapy at work.

I am getting better at taking my camera with me whenever I leave the house. Today I was very glad to have it because I was REALLY REALLY stressed at work and I used my 15 min. break as a mini therapy session; just me and my camera sitting on the side of the parking lot. (Yes I sat in the parking lot in my work clothes, it was just that kind of day) anyway the result was 15 minutes of pure joy and this....


I am working on some creative themes for the next few weeks so that I feel inspired to keep up the pace. I have to admit I am pleased and surprised that I have stuck it out for almost two weeks. It really has become a part of my nightly routine. I know two weeks is not a lot in the course of a whole year but honestly I have rarely stuck with a project even this long I am feel like I can pat my self on the back a little.

3 comments:

  1. Samaras!
    I have a story about samaras (those little helicopter things). Wanna hear it? Of course you do. :)

    A few years ago, when I was just starting out as a daycare teacher, I taught a little girl whose middle name was "Samara". The story behind the name was that her mom had had a difficult pregnancy and was encouraged to name her baby in order to feel closer to her (I can relate--it's sometimes hard to feel attached to the parasite in your belly that makes you puke 8 times a day!). Not knowing if she was having a boy or a girl, she called her belly-buddy "Sam". When her daughter was finally born, healthy and fine, the mom and dad decided to expand the name "Sam" into their daughter's middle name, "Samara." They chose the name because it is the proper name of those helicopter plants and her dad was a helicopter pilot. What could be more perfect?

    This is the part of the story that gets sad. A few weeks after the little girl was born, her dad had to fly his helicopter. I believe he was some kind of rescue pilot and couldn't get more time off. Anyway, his helicopter went down and he was killed. The mom was devastated and when I knew her, three and a half years later, she had not recovered from the loss. She was glad, however, that she had given her daughter a middle name that linked back to her dad's job, since he wouldn't be there to watch her grow up.

    Okay, I should have told you this was a sad story before I began. I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Mike told me that I have to stop telling incredibly sad stories that just start off as, "So I have a story..." I've had him stare blankly at me plenty of times, after having to sit through horrible stories that made him want to cry, only to ask, "What's wrong with you? Why do you keep doing this??"

    Okay, so for future reference, I will attempt to preface sad stories properly.

    ReplyDelete