Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 18 ... and nothing witty to add.

I am home in bed sick and I wasn't really keen to be about and about taking pictures. I grabbed for something on my dresser with in easy reach and ended up with my jewelery box. I didn't get any really great shots but I am sick and tired so you get what you get. :)


The two rings in the middle belonged to my Mother. They were her engagement and wedding rings from her third husband, my step-father.  I thought for a long time about wearing them when I got married or having them melted down to make a new ring because I thought it would be nice to have my mother that close to me and a part of my marriage. Then I remembered the kind of marriage that my Mother and Step-Father had and realized I didn't want that kind of bad juju infecting MY marriage. But I do like to keep them there, close so I can try and remember what they looked like on her hands. What can I say? I am sick in bed and even at 35 I miss my mama.

2 comments:

  1. I think I've told you this story already, but the ring that I wear all the time is actually my father's wedding band. He wore it for nearly 20 years, until he died in 1984. At that time my mother had it sized down and added three rubies to it. My dad's birthstone was ruby, and also my mom's name is Ruby. So she wore it for over 20 years. Then in 2006 my mom gave it to me. I wear it all the time as a way to keep both of my parents close to me.

    ReplyDelete